My partner said that when he enters inside me, he feels something like a barrier or a lump. This kind of barrier hurts when touched. What can it be? Because of this, I can’t have normal sex. (I have never had sex before.)

You are not alone, pain with penetration is a lot more common than you think! However, it is hard to know what the barrier or lump may be that is causing your discomfort. It’s a good idea to schedule an appointment with your health care provider (HCP) to determine what exactly the cause of discomfort is. The barrier or lump could be a number of things such as your hymen (the thin membrane that surrounds the opening of the vagina), the cervix (canal between your vagina and uterus), or something else. Your HCP knows you and your body best. Remember, pain with penetration isn’t uncommon, so it is likely that your provider will know exactly what you need to do to feel better.