I have pain in the inside of my vagina when I pee. What should I do and what are the docs going to do to me?

girl with hands over groinPain in the inside of your vagina (when you pee or pass urine) can have many possible causes. Urine is typically acidic so if there is any irritation near the entrance to your vagina, when urine leaves your body through the urethra, you would likely have discomfort, such as burning. Vaginal irritation is most often caused from a yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis or a sexually transmitted infection.

You should make an appointment with your health care provider. Most likely your health care provider (HCP) will have you pee into a cup to check for a bladder infection. Also, your HCP may look inside your vagina and use a small cotton tipped swab to get a sample of vaginal discharge to check for infection. This may feel awkward or embarrassing but it usually is not uncomfortable.

It is always important to talk to your health care provider when your body doesn’t feel right. You can lower your risk of sexually transmitted infections by not having sex or by having your partner(s) use a condom every time you have sex. With early treatment you will feel better soon and you will decrease your chances of complications.