Thanks for your question! The “wet” feeling you have when you masturbate is the vagina’s natural lubricant. The vagina gets wet when you are become aroused or “turned on.” Natural lubricant produced by the vagina is super important because it makes sex and masturbation more enjoyable. However, there are many different reasons why your vagina may seem “drier” than usual during sex and/or masturbation.
Here are a few reasons:
- Stress – if your stress levels are higher, it might be affecting your ability to become aroused, which can impact your ability to produce natural lubricant.
- Certain medications – can cause your vagina to produce less vaginal lubricant.
- Drink up! – staying well hydrated with water can help increase your vagina’s lubricant.
- Hygiene products – avoid using soaps, creams, lotions, and douching products in and around the vagina as it can cause change the natural pH of your vagina cause it to dry out!
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) – some STIs can cause the vagina to become less lubricated than normal, so it’s a good idea to get checked!
You can use over-the-counter lubricants such as K-Y jelly to help enhance your vagina’s natural lubrication during masturbation. However, if it does not seem to get better in a few days to a week, schedule an appointment to see your health care provider.