Yes, it’s still possible to be pregnant even after a negative pregnancy test and successful protection use. When condoms are used 100% effectively, they provide 98% chance of protection against pregnancy, meaning 2% of people can become pregnant for different reasons. In some situations, the condom can break without anyone knowing or pre-ejaculation “pre-cum” happens before a condom can be placed, increasing the risk for pregnancy.
Unfortunately, a pregnancy test can give a false negative if it’s taken too early. It’s best to wait at least one week after your missed period, before taking a test, just to be safe. If it’s difficult to wait a week after your missed period, contact your health care provider (HCP). The HCP can order blood tests, which will tell you whether or not you are pregnant.
If you are interested, it may be a great time to talk to your HCP about adding an additional form of birth control, such as the pill, to that you don’t have to worry as much about this issue. The use of the pill and a condom can also help reduce the risk of pregnancy, as well as sexually transmitted infections (STIs).