- Reiki is considered a complementary therapy.
- Reiki is a technique that helps some people to relax and lower their stress level.
- Reiki may affect how much pain a person feels.
Reiki is a combination of two Japanese words. Rei means “universal power” and Ki means “life force energy.” Practitioners of Reiki believe that life force energy flows through all living things and is part of everyone’s body, mind, emotions, and spirit. When a person’s life force energy is low, they usually feel sick or stressed. However, when a person’s energy is at the right level, they feel happier and healthier.
What is it?
Reiki is a safe and natural healing technique based on Japanese tradition that has helped some people to relax, lower stress and feel better in general. Practitioners who offer Reiki treatments have received training that is aimed at improving “the flow of life force energy.”
What does a Reiki treatment involve?
- Anyone, at any age can receive Reiki.
- You don’t need to remove any clothing during a treatment.
- Usually, you will lie on a bed or table, either face up or down or sit in a chair.
- The Reiki practitioner most often places his/her hands on the top of your head, forehead, neck, upper chest, lower chest, abdomen (belly), knees and feet.
- Music may be played during your treatment.
- You will not have to do anything.
Reiki practitioners can provide long-distance healing treatments. The practitioner sends energy via another source (Facetime, for example) rather than having direct physical contact with the patient.
Who can offer Reiki?
Reiki practitioners are trained by a Reiki “Master” and receive a certificate when they complete level I, II, and III. There is no license to practice Reiki.
What happens during a Reiki treatment and what are the possible benefits?
- “Reiki seems to affect the perception of pain” (how much you are aware of your pain, and how much you feel it) and enhances the body’s relaxation response.
- There may be positive changes in some of the measures of the immune system after a Reiki treatment.
Often a person talks about a deep level of relaxation after a Reiki treatment.
You are likely to feel:
- Comfortable and warm
- Calm- your heart rate and breathing may slow down as you feel more relaxed
- Relaxed and peaceful
- Sleepy- you may fall asleep during the treatment
- Emotional- some people may cry during a session as emotions are sometimes released
How much does Reiki cost?
The average cost for a Reiki treatment is $25 to $100 per hour depending on the state/country you live in. Some practitioners may offer free clinics or provide treatment for a donation.