If the very thought of getting fitted for a bra by a clerk at a department store makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t worry, you can take your own measurements at home. Of course, trying on bras is always necessary, since different brands and styles fit differently.
First, measure your “chest” size.
- Place a cloth measuring tape under your breasts.
- Wrap the tape around your chest so the tape measure meets the beginning part of the tape.
- When you have the measurement number, add 5 inches.
Next, measure your “cup” size.
- Measure around your chest at the largest or fullest part of your breasts, called your “bustline.”
- Be sure to measure with your arms straight down, so ask someone you feel comfortable with to help you (such as your mom, sister, or friend).
Your bustline measurement will be higher than your chest (“under the breast”) measurement. Your cup size is the difference between your chest size and your bustline measurement.